Pixel Mine nFringe is a core technology for custom language support in Visual Studio. Pixel Mine nFringe currently includes the UnrealScript language module, an advanced development environment for UnrealScript 3. Its primary components are a text editor and a source level script debugger. The editor is seamlessly integrated into the Microsoft Visual Studio environment, and works in the way Visual Studio users have come to expect and enjoy. For developers that demand no less than the best, Pixel Mine's nFringe UnrealScript language module is a must-have component.
An itemized breakdown of the features included in the UnrealScript language module is listed on the Features page.
The latest release of nFringe can always be found on the Releases page. The installation process is as follows:
First time installation
Please read this carefully to determine if you need to complete step 1 below.
|Installed version of Visual Studio||Step 1|
|Visual Studio 2008 Standard, Professional, or Team Suite||Skip|
|Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Professional, or Team Suite||Optional: Install if you want to use Visual Studio 2008 for your UnrealScript projects.|
|Any of the Visual Studio Express Editions||Required|
|Visual Studio .NET 2003 or earlier||Required|
|No copy of Visual Studio installed||Required|
- (If necessary as mentioned above) Download and install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (Integrated Mode). After this installation, you must reboot your computer, even though the installer doesn't tell you to do so (I got hit by this while demoing the IDE at the Austin GDC). Note that this installation occasionally takes quite a long time (10+ minutes) even on faster computers.
- (Visual Studio 2005 users only) Download and install the ProjectAggregator2 module for Visual Studio 2005. This module is required for creating UnrealScript projects. Note that this installer is a near-silent install; when it completes the window will disappear with no specific indication of success.
- If you don't already have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, download and install it from Microsoft's web site.
- Install Pixel Mine nFringe
- Download the latest release of nFringe from the Releases page
- Close any copies of Visual Studio you have open
- Run the installer to install
- (Optional) Install SamTools for Visual Studio
Upgrading an existing installation
We have worked to make the upgrade process as simple as possible.
- Automatic update (not available in some old versions of nFringe)
- Open the Help menu in Visual Studio and select Check for nFringe Updates. You can either have nFringe automatically install the update, or click the Releases link and follow the manual update steps.
- Manual update
- Download the latest release of nFringe from the Releases page.
- Close any copies of Visual Studio you have open.
- Run the installer as usual, and it will automatically upgrade your current installation. Any customized settings will be saved during this process.
Please visit the nFringe FAQ page for answers to some common questions we receive.
For general feedback and support, bug reporting, and feature requests, please visit the nFringe section of the Pixel Mine Forums.